The Vision of DairyAntibiogram
- Promote comprehensive stewardship of Elanco mastitis antimicrobial dry cow and lactating cow treatments.
- Use broth microdilution methodology to provide farm-level antibiograms which guide the prescription of antimicrobials used in the treatment of mastitis.
- Define and objectively quantify the current status of antimicrobial susceptibility of the common mastitis pathogens in New Zealand.
- Monitor this status over time.
- Maintain a database so that different antimicrobial use patterns and their effects on antimicrobial resistance can be investigated.
The value of DairyAntibiogram to YOUR farm
A DAIRYANTIBIOGRAM will give you valuable information which, with the direction from your vet, will help you:
- Plan to use effective mastitis treatments
- Avoid using expensive broad spectrum treatments when other less expensive options are shown to be effective
- Know your resistance status and how this ranks compared to other farms in the country
- Develop biosecurity plans to protect a “good” resistance status
- Identify threats to your herd which can be investigated further and managed or removed
- Monitor if your resistance status is changing over time
- Help your dairy industry demonstrate that it is using antibiotics responsibly
Value To The Dairy Industry
- Data on the susceptibility of local mastitis bacteria will help to ensure that effective antimicrobials are used for the treatment of mastitis and the maintenance of good animal welfare.
- Monitoring the resistance situation, and using susceptibility data in the decision making process helps to demonstrate antibiotics are being prescribed and used responsibly.
- Develop a picture of the current state of antibiotic resistance, and monitor it’s changes over time and in relation to usage practices.
- Uphold the reputation of the New Zealand dairy industry.